Friday, May 27, 2011

A 26 year celebration


As a kid, I remember thinking that at age 20 I would be a true adult. That at 20, I would have a plan for life, and by 23 I would be married and have a kid on the way. I wish I could go back and tell my 8 year old self to hold the train, slow it down and enjoy it. I guess 8 year old me wasn't totally incorrect. At 23, I married my best friend and that was right on.

I think the perfect song that comes to mind is John Mayer's "Stop This Train."

So scared of getting older
I'm only good at being young
So I play the numbers game to find away to say that life has just begun
Had a talk with my old man
Said help me understand
He said turn 68, you'll renegotiate
Don't stop this train
Don't for a minute change the place you're in
Don't think I couldn't ever understand
I tried my hand
John, honestly we'll never stop this train

As I reflect on being 26, its really not that different from 25 or 24 for that matter. But the fact that its closer to 30 is just a tad crazy- not scary like the song says, just crazy. Maybe I'll feel different at 29- but for now I'm quite content with life. Slowing it down has been a mantra that I have tried to remind myself over and over again lately. Savoring every bit of life as it comes means sometimes forgoing possibilities that come your way. Sounds confusing doesn't it? But I think its as easy as "just say no"....take certain parts of your life and really infuse yourself, and try not to tackle a million things at once.

Ok, enough philosophical rambling. What brings me to this great revelation of life is my birthday. I had one of the best birthdays ever! The morning of May 6th, I was off of work and was able to enjoy the beautiful morning by taking Lola for a long walk. After we returned, Ryan, Lola and I packed our bags and headed for Omaha. (are you just imaging Lola with a little knapsack on her back at this moment?- haha)

We arrived at Mike & Sara's, went to my favorite restaurant, Bonefish Grill, for dinner and sipped Mai Tais at one of my favorite places, the Mai Tai Lounge. It was relaxing, and I was surrounded by a group of people I loved- it was perfect. And the fact that I got to spend the next few days of my birthday weekend with my family was the cherry on top.


Mike & Sara, our ever gracious hosts

The 4 of us at Bonefish

Mai Tai, Here we Come!

No comments: