Friday, October 22, 2010

Getting the Worm?


So they say the early bird gets the worm, right? Well...if that's true then I should have buckets of worms by now. To prepare for our upcoming dance showcase, my varsity dancers have decided that they would like to add in some extra practices. I am quite proud of their tenacity and willingness to improve, but at 6:00AM? In all fairness, I asked the girls which days/times would work best for them. Here's how that conversation went.

"OK, so we have our regularly schedules practices from 5:30-8:30 on Wednesday nights, what other days/times will work best for you girls?"
"How about Tuesday and Thursday nights?"
"No...that means we'll have 3 nights of dance in a row, and some girls are in swim and baton on those nights."
"What about Monday mornings?"
"No, that won't work either, some of us have band practice on Monday mornings."
"How about Tuesday or Thursday mornings?"
"Half of us are in show choir, and we meet at 7AM on Tuesday/Thursdays."
"Well, what if we meet before show choir?"
Crickets may have been heard at this point in time in the conversation.
Thankfully, one very bold and brave girl said, "Yeah, let's do that, 6AM practices on Tuesday and Thursdays."
And so it was.

The past two weeks of 6 AM practices have thankfully gone pretty quickly. And I guess I can't thwart a dancer's determination to practice. I am also amazed at the amount of activities these teenagers are involved in. Not that I didn't also partake in many activities in high school as well, but I guess when you've graduated from college and work all day long, you really do appreciate hanging out at home, in front of the TV with a bowl of popcorn. :)

No comments: