Monday, August 15, 2011

In A Blink


I’m BAAAAAACK! Aren’t you excited? I’ve actually found time in my busy schedule this week to sit and write a blog post- something I’ve been craving, and hoping to be able to do since the 4th of July weekend- which was over a month ago now. How does time slip by like that? How do I get so engrossed in my daily life and all of the to dos that I forget to do something that I absolutely love?

My work has been busy lately- that’s pretty evident by the lack of love I’ve been able to give to the blog. And at the end of a 10-hour day I’m ready to peace out. Don’t get me wrong, I absolutely love what I do and where I work, but do you know what my absolute favorite part of my day is?

When I roll down Knollwood Dr., cruise to a slow speed to open up the mailbox and head up the driveway to the garage. As I press the button on my garage door opener, I already know what’s going on inside my home. Ryan is hanging out in the living room or just finishing up dinner and telling our little Lola that “mom’s home.” When I push open the door, the cutest and furriest little black dog is waiting there for me. Usually her tail is wagging a mile a minute, she’s on the verge of jumping up to greet me, when she realizes that she’s been taught not to and stays seated on the cool tile.

I drop my things on the granite island and am greeted with more puppy kisses than I can hope for. I get a big hug from Ryan, and I sit down at the table to eat dinner and finally decompress from my rigorous schedule.

I’m home.

I tend to tie my memories to music, and this morning after a particularly grueling work-week and working the weekend, I heard this song---

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvuxFdM3S58

In case you’re unable to open the link here are the lyrics:

Teach me to number my days, and count every moment

Before it slips away. Take in all the colors, before they fade to gray.

I don’t want to miss, even just a second, more of this.

It happens in a blink, it happens in a flash, it happens in the time it took to look back.

I try to hold on tight, but there’s no stopping time, what is it I’ve done with my life?

It happens in a blink.

It happens in a blink.

When it’s all said and done, no one remembers, how far we have run.

The only thing that matters, is how we have loved.

I don’t want to miss, even just a second, more of this.

It happens in a blink, it happens in a flash, it happens in the time it took to look back.

I try to hold on tight, but there’s no stopping time, what is it I’ve done with my life?

It happens in a blink. It happens in a blink. It happens in a blink. It happens in a blink.

Slow Down. Slow Down. Before today becomes our yesterday.

It happens in a blink, it happens in a flash, it happens in the time it took to look back.

I try to hold on tight, but there’s no stopping time, what is it I’ve done with my life?

In that moment, my entire body un-tensed, a smile appeared on my face, and I remembered what’s important. The deadlines, the schedules, the proposals and such will all fade in time. But the time I spend with my husband watching our favorite show, the phone calls to my sister and my mom, the fun cards sent to friends, the way I treat people and the way I choose to live my life matter the most. And the fact that every day I wake up I get to see the love of my life and the cutest puppy in the world are pretty great perks.

No comments: