Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Coach

I Knocked
You Weren't In
- Opportunity

I saw this saying on a decorative plaque at one of the stores at Lake Okoboji not too long ago- I regret not having my purse now, but at the time I thought, "What a nifty little saying." And really, how true?! So many times in life we bypass things that may be too tough, take up too much time or just aren't what we had imagined doing. When in the long run, if you buck up and try it out...you might be surprised how well it turns out.

I'm into my 4th month of coaching at Ralston High School. I remember hearing about the position and going for an interview just to try it out. Ryan and I had really loved our lazy evenings together as newlyweds, but I felt like I needed a little something just for me. If you know me at all, you know that this was right up my alley. But, the only thing nagging me was the time commitment. Would there be constant practice? Would I be going to meetings, competitions and games nonstop? Would it just be too much on my plate?

This past week reminded me why I am coaching. My Varsity squad went to camp, and although I juggled my work schedule and camp schedule, I really enjoyed watching the girls learn and grow within just a few days. We got to bond over fast food dinners, and the numerous van trips back and forth from Creighton. I heard girly chatter and giggles in the back seat of the passenger van while they decorated their spirit stick and practiced their 8 counts. A flood of my own camp memories came back to me, and I realized that being their role model could be even better than being their coach.

We have quite a year ahead of us, but I'm looking forward to teaching, coaching and learning. This time...Opportunity knocked, and I opened the door. Lets just see where it takes me!


No comments: