Monday, September 13, 2010

Austad Family Variety Hour

Before Ryan and I were married, I found out he was a very musical person. After a few of our dates he would get out his guitar and woo me with his musical skills, playing not only 1 song but skipping from artist to artist. A little John Mayer here, Eric Clapton, and then bang an original Acoustic Dissonance song. (a band Ryan and his good friend Nik created).

I was enthralled with his talent and was so excited to see it flourish as our relationship grew. A few months after we had been dating, I took my first trip to Sioux Falls, SD to meet the rest of the Austad family. What I didn't know then is that I was about to meet the Von Traps. The Austads sing ALL the time and break out into random song no matter what is happening. I distinctly remember Ryan and Sara (ryan's older sister) breaking out in a melody of "Jingle Bells" and "Mary did you know" at dinner that evening. When you are around the Austad family, you are bound to hear a round and the makings of a melodic verse, even if there is no harmony to begin with.

Now, I notice Ryan sings a lot...and often. While he is in the shower, making dinner, vacuuming, or just hanging out watching TV. He even got me singing a few of our own Austad originals. You'll have to ask for a request next time you see us.

Here are a few pictures from the last visit from Sara and Mike. The musicality was magical. Mike and I usually sit and watch. :)

Sara and Ryan- Musical Masterminds

Mike is enjoying the performance :)

No comments: