Tuesday, September 14, 2010

GIRLS NIGHT!

When I first moved to Omaha after my graduation at UNL, I moved into an apartment with Ryan's sister, Sara. I didn't know a lot of people in Omaha....or even the city very well. So Sara suggested we join a ladies golf league that spring/summer at Pacific Springs golf course. At this point in my golf career I had mastered playing mini golf for the last 17 years, but had no idea how to actually tee off and lay up and all of that other golf stuff. So this was supposed to be a learning experience and I was up for it.

The first night Sara and I played we were teamed up with another twosome of very nice ladies in their fifties. They rocked, and I'm pretty sure I ended up using my foot wedge a little too much that evening. The next week we played yet again with another twosome of 50-60 something women who must've practiced with Tiger Woods. Two weeks in, and I wasn't learning too much after picking up my ball and getting utterly frustrated that we were paired up with all of these ladies who could kick my butt. Finally after a few weeks, Sara and I were paired up with Kristen and Debbie.

As we pulled up to the first tee box, I assumed to see another group of 50 something women who were scratch golfers. Much to my surprise, there were Kristen and Debbie! They were definitely under 30 and were there for fun rather than to kick my butt. They both made some awesome shots, but they made jokes and laughed and hit their drives into the water just like me! I was relieved. I could finally learn how to golf and not get frustrated that I wasn't perfect.

I decided that one summer of a golf league was enough for me and Sara, Kristen, Debbie and I started playing golf together in the summers when we wanted to. And sometimes we didn't play golf at all...and went out for margaritas instead. :)

So...that begun girls night. And after finding out that all 4 of us at the same obsession with So You Think You Can Dance, we started having girls nights that included Nigel Lythgoe and Mary Murphy as well. It has been great getting to know Kristen and Debbie, and we've even added Kristin (with an I) into the group as well.

Looking forward to the next season of So You Think You Can Dance!

At Golf League- where it all began
Amberly, Sara
Debbie, Kristen

Margaritas at La Mesa- yes please!

Kristin joins the dance fun!

a wonderful girls night

No comments: