Thursday, September 15, 2011

I'm A City Girl....Kind of


Today was quite monumental for me. It was the very first time I rode the express bus from Eden Prairie to downtown Minneapolis. It's kind of a big deal.

Let's take you back to the beginning. A few weeks ago Ryan and I were chatting about how the traffic in the Twin Cities has been getting much worse lately. Minneapolis isn't in the top worst traffic cities by any means, but lately my commute can take up to an hour-- one way. That's almost 1.5 hours per day, 7.5 hours per week that I spend in the car lately. That's almost a full night's sleep for me.

Another factor for trying out the bus was the impending winter season. Thankfully, I didn't have to deal with the winter rush hour traffic because I started my job here in late April. But there were a few days that the traffic + snow + crazy maniac drivers had Ryan staying safe and sound working from home.

So, Ryan suggested I at least try out the bus route. If for some reason, I needed to take the bus when its -20 and the snow is falling, I'd know where to go and what to do. So, today was the day.

I was a bit nervous this morning getting ready. Normally, I can leave the house within a 15 minute window and arrive at work on time. But today, I was nervous I wouldn't have enough time to park my car and get to my bus. I also wasn't sure where I was going! So thankfully, as I was leaving the parking garage, I saw a woman heading down the stairs-so I followed her. Or...stalked, whichever you prefer. She looked like she had done this before, so I followed her down the stairs, across the parking garage and to the bus platform.

I checked the bus number on my list and looked up to see that the bus I was waiting for was already there! I was 5 minutes early- whew! I found a seat and settled in, all the while checking my watch, the bus number and my map over and over again.

Thankfully the bus left on time, and arrived downtown pretty quick- only about a 30 minute drive. As I studied my map, yet again, I noticed a "ding" and then a glowing orange light flickered above the driver's head- "Stop Requested." I had no idea, I had to actually push a button to request that they stop-all the little white boxes on my map indicated bus stops- don't they stop at all of them? (I'm sure a season city veteran is laughing out loud at me right about now) In my head I was frantic- where's this button, will someone else please push it for my stop, so I don't have to find it?

Alas- my hero. A sweet young brunet girl, probably 23, with a University of Minnesota sweatshirt reached up above her head and tapped something. THE BUTTON! Woo! She just happened to be stopping at the same place- score.

The bus finally reached my stop, and I exited like a pro. I had a few blocks to walk to the office, but all in all my experience getting there was slick. I liked the fact that I could sit back and relax and not have to worry about weaving in and out of traffic. It was nice to let someone else do the frantic morning drive for me. However, the nervousness I felt getting to the bus, and making sure I got off at the right stop wasn't my favorite.

I've only made 1/2 my journey, getting home tonight should be interesting.

2 comments:

jeannine said...

Hope you got home okay, friend!! When I did an internship in downtown St. Paul in college, I had to take the bus to my office from the apartment I had rented for the summer. Let me just say that on my first "trial run," once I got off the bus, I wasn't sure how to get back on it to get home again, so I had to call my friend Lance to pick me up. :) But no worries - it soon became old hat and you too will be able to fool everyone and look like a "big city girl!!" (even though we all know you're a small-town girl at heart!)

Amberly said...

I love that you had to call your friend to get home! :) I'm sure it will become the norm and I'll be riding the bus like a pro come winter time!