Saturday, December 31, 2011

Adventures in Spray Painting

Again, you can blame my crazy love of all things crafty on pinterest- I'm addicted, addicted, addicted!!! So when Ryan mentioned we should change out the silver mirror in our living room, I agreed whole-heartedly and with an idea in mind!

I have been seeing some beautiful oil-rubbed bronze items on pinterest and on blogs that I follow, so I knew that's what I wanted to change the silver frame to. First we needed the goods.

Rust-Oleum Metallic Paint & Primer in 1- Oil Rubbed Bronze, And, because one project is never enough, Krylon Satin White for another frame project...more on that later. And yes that is a glass of red wine in the background...we do our projects with a little fun added in :)


While Ryan worked on the mirror


I worked on our frame project that we had been hoping to do for months now. Ryan had so lovingly been bringing home old frames from co-workers, and I scoured Goodwill for some winners to do a small gallery wall in our living room. (really the tangled mess of hoses is still there? Ryan will need to learn the art of flattering picture angles from now on).

After we painted, it was time to let the frames dry and figure out how we would hang them.
We went with the newspaper method and cut out the sizes of the frames we wanted to hang and then used painter's tape to re-arrange as needed. Here was our first option...

And that turned into options 2, 3, 4, etc...until we came up with this winner

When everything was dry and ready it was time to hang. The mirror turned out to be a great contrast on the light brown wall.


And the frame gallery turned out better than we had imagined! We'll be able to swap out picture in those frames in the years to come, and I still need one last thing in the final frame...but that will come as well. Yay for spray painting!

No comments: